|Module [Module Number]||Ergänzungsmodul Wirtschaftsinformatik ll [1277EMWi02]|
|Regular Cycle||Summer Term|
|Teaching Form||Lecture + Tutorial|
|Instructors||Dr. Janek Richter (Lectures) and Christian Hovestadt (Tutorials)|
|KLIPS||Summer Term 2021: Lecture, Tutorial (Second Registration Phase)|
- Processes and important challenges in the development of IS
- Alternatives for the realization of IS ("Make or Buy", Outsourcing, Software as a Service, etc.)
- Process models for the development of IS (waterfall model, evolutionary development, agile software development)
- Concepts and forms of project management for IS development
- Project control and evaluation methods
- Communication and leadership
- recognize the challenges of information system (IS) development.
- can evaluate, select and apply various process models for the development of IS based on their advantages and disadvantages.
- understand traditional and new, agile, IS development process models.
- can assess, select and apply the different organizational forms of project management for the development of IS based on their respective strengths and weaknesses.
- are aware of the dangers of time pressure in IS development projects and are in a position to take appropriate countermeasures.
- are able to develop solutions in small groups and present them in the plenum.
Because of the COVID-19 situation, the course will run in an entirely digital, flipped-classroom format.
We will not have traditional lectures and tutorials where we can broadcast material to you.
First contact with new contents does not happen during a lecture, but instead you acquire your initial understanding of the materials through readings, short lecture videos, and initial exercises.
There will be interactive virtual sessions, where we resolve any issues that you have with the materials, where we deepen your knowledge through discussions, and apply it in further exercises.
Because this part of the teaching is entirely online, it will be important for you to exercise discipline and study at your own leisure and pace.
All three components of the portfolio exam will run in digital formats, requiring no physical attendance. Please see the details below and in the syllabus.
Introduction and Organization of the Course
- We will hold a webinar at the start of the semester to explain the organization of the course
- Webinar will be held via a videoconferencing solution (Zoom) on:
14 April 2021: 12.00 – 13.00, Zoom
- Log‐in details will be made available via ILIAS
- Online Lecture Q&A Sessions: Each Wednesday, 12 noon (~45 min), Zoom
- Online Tutorial Sessions: Each Friday, 10am (~45-60 min), Zoom
- KLIPS Exam Registration and ILIAS Survey Deadline: tba
- Case Study Challenge Submission: 21st May 2021, 11:55pm (via ILIAS)
- Case Study Challenge Results Discussion: 2nd June 2021, 10am (~45 min), Zoom
- IS Development Solution Submission: 21st July 2021, 11:55pm (via ILIAS)
- Online eExam (1st option): tba
- Online eExam (2nd option): tba
For further information, please refer to the syllabus.
This course will be assessed as a portfolio exam.
1) Case Study Challenge (5 Points)
Team-based investigation and knowledge application in a teaching case study.
2) Online eExam (45 points)
A 30-minute online eExam covering the whole lecture and tutorial.
3) IS Development Solution (Team Project) (50 points)
Conceptually design an information system information system to solve a relevant business problem of your choice.
- Project overview and goals
- Requirements analysis
- Choice of systems development methodology including justification and adaptions
- Timeline including milestones, project phases, and work packages
- Project risks
- Staffing plan
- Cost estimation
- Stakeholder analysis
- Ethical issues with the solution and in the development
You are not required to build or program the system.
Information Systems Development [4th Edition]
David Avison and Guy Fitzgerald